Manuscript architectural plan likely by William Hodgins. "Scale 20 ft per Inch." Shows gate house, Burlington Cemetery. According to Hamilton's Heritage, the Burlington Cemetery (currently named Hamilton Cemetery) opened in 1848 on York Boulevard. The gatehouse design is attributed to William Hodgins, an architect/civil engineer who was employed as a city engineer at the time. The gatehouse was considered distinctive as a dual-purpose building within the operations of a cemetery, combining the functions of chapel/waiting room and dwelling. Architecturally, the building is known for its Gothic Revival style and detailing (Hamilton's Heritage, 2004, v. 5, p. 151-152).