Design for a gate lodge Burlington Cemetery, sheet no. 2
Manuscript architectural plan. Three signatures appear on the plan: “C. Magill, Mayor”, “William Hodgins, Architect”, and “Thomas P. Kin..." (surname illegible). According to Hamilton's Heritage, the Burlington Cemetery (currently named Hamilton Cemetery) opened in 1848 on York Boulevard. The gatehouse design is attributed to William Hodgins, an architect/civil engineer who was employed as a city engineer at the time. The gatehouse was considered distinctive as a dual-purpose building within the operations of a cemetery, combining the functions of chapel/waiting room and dwelling. Architecturally, the building is known for its Gothic Revival style and detailing (Hamilton's Heritage, 2004, v. 5, p. 151-152). Includes mathematic annotations in pencil. Donated by Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee (LACAC), March 2000.