"Scale five chains to an inch." Map boundaries are King William Street to the north, James Street to the west, Catherine Street to the east and Hannah Street (now Charlton Avenue) to the south. In bottom right corner, "No 2". On lower left corner, "Drawer 4 No 1" (number 1 appears to be added over a number 2).
This map is a plan of the city of Hamilton in 1830. It shows that, at this time, most of the city’s urban development was found between Bay Street and Victoria Avenue. Just below the title are found the geographic coordinates of the map: “North Latitude 43°.13.4” and “West Longitude from Greench 80°.0.5” The scale, date, location of authorship, and surveyor signature are also all found below the title: “Scale two chains to one Inch”; “Burford February 12th 1830”; “Lewis Burwell, Deputy Surveyor.” The directional arrow is found, pointing north, to the right of the title. Map numbering is located to the left of the title: “No. 188, Drawer 5”. The map itself depicts over 200 lots in central Hamilton, surrounding the original townsite laid out by George Hamilton (1788-1836) and Nathaniel Hughson (1755-1837) in 1816.
The landowners listed on the map include numerous names well known in Hamilton: George Hamilton, Nathaniel Hughson, Richard Beasley, Robert Land, Richard Ferguson, David Kirkendall, Peter Hess, James Crooks, Thomas Taylor, Richard Springer, David Springer, and Peter Hamilton, among others. There is a “market” listed (found between John and Hughson, just north of Augusta Street). There is also a “School House”, “Methodist Chappel”, and “Grave Yard” located east of Wellington, between King and Main Streets. The mapmaker, Lewis Burwell, was one of the most well known surveyors in Brant and Haldimand Counties. He is listed as having completed one of the first surveys of the Town of Brantford and early surveys of Burford, Dumphries, Oxford, and North Southwold Townships. He also designed surveys laying out the villages of Bishopsgate, Burford, Cayuga, and Newport. Burwell served in the Middlesex Militia during the War of 1812. His brother Mahlon Burwell was also a renowned surveying personality in Upper Canada during the 19th century. Lewis Burwell is buried in the Burford Pioneer Cemetery (Association of Ontario Land Surveyors,”Lewis Burwell,” Toronto: AOLS Report of the Committee on Biography & Repository, posted in 2003).
From: Picturesque Canada, v. 2, p. 453-454. On verso, illustration of "Drinking fountain in the Gore" and textual fragment from the article, "From Toronto, Westward."
Facsimile (Hamilton, Ont. : Lloyd Reeds Map Collection, McMaster University Library, 2013. Digital copy (scan) of original from the City of Hamilton, Dundurn Castle).
Bird's-eye view of Hamilton, Ontario. "Drawn from nature by E. Whitefield." "Lith. of Endicott & Co. N.Y." At head of map: Whitefield's original views of North American cities, no. 29.
Facsimile (Hamilton, Ont. : Lloyd Reeds Map Collection, McMaster University Library, 2013. Digital copy (scan) of original lithograph from the City of Hamilton, Dundurn Castle).
Very little information is indicated on the map. To the left of the title it reads, "No 75 Drawer No 2". The map does not feature any scales, directional arrows, surveyor information, or signatures. The map is of "Hatt's Survey" in downtown Dundas. The lots shown are found on the north side of King Street West in Dundas. All of the streets shown are in existence today in the manner found on this map, with the exception of Colbourne Street [now Park Street] and Mountain Street [now Melville Street].
Printed map. "Surveyed & Drawn by Marcus Smith." Visual scale, [1 cm = 100 feet]. "Note. The limits of the Corporation are marked by a strong line of pink color." Includes illustrations of 3 buildings with headings: Town Hall; Merchants Exchange Hotel; and, James Coleman Esqre., Mayor of Dundas. Described in Winearls' Mapping Upper Canada, 1780-1867, entry 1299, p. 297: "...a very detailed map showing the town from the GWR to South St, and from Head St to East St; all bldgs are shown, most named; names of owners; cleared land and treed areas distinguished; escarpment." Donated by Elmar C. Hodsoll, Toronto, July 1995.
Certification statement in lower left corner signed, "Hamilton November 12th 1873, Thomas C. Brownjohn P.L.S." "Scale 3 Chains = One Inch". "Side road allowance between lots 32 & 33" is approximately where Mount Albion Road is today. "Road allowance between 7th & 8th Cons" is approximately where Highland Road is today. Albion Street is no longer in existence. "Received from Walter R Macdonald this 5th day of October A.D. 1875 at 2.50 P.M. [illegible signature]". "Book 3, Plan 78" written twice near upper edge. The "Van Dusen Estate" appears on the Saltfleet map in the 1875 Illustrated Historical Atlas of the Country of Wentworth Ont.
The map's title appears to be "Part of Hamilton". It appears as if a portion of the eastern side of the map may have been cut short. The map outlines an area in Hamilton's north end, near the West Harbour and the current CN Railway Company yard. Streets listed are Stratchan Street, Stuart Street, Bay Street, Fawcott Street [now nonexistant], and Tiffany Street [still in existence but its northern section has been replaced by the CN tracks]. Burlington Bay figures prominently on the map; a curved line roughly indicates the location of the shoreline. The scale is found in the bottom right-hand corner in linear form, showing 1 inch as approximately 64 feet. Located in the vicinity of this map are the following sites: Bayfront Park and the Custom House on Stuart Street [now the Workers Arts and Heritage Centre].
Map shows the former Township of Ancater. It is a copy of the other Ancaster plan entitled: “Ancaster”. The map shows only concessions, early lot lines, waterways, and communities (drawn in pencil). The following villages and towns are labeled: Alberton, Ancaster, Carluke, and Jerseyville. Dundas Street [now Governor’s Road or Highway 99] is shown at the top of the map. On the verso of the map it reads “Page 42nd Ancaster”. Very little subsequent detail is shown.
This is a survey plan for “Clairmont Park” in Lot 15, Concession 4 of Barton Township. It is highly detailed and generally legible. The scale is listed below the title (“Scale:-100Ft. = 1 In.”). The directional arrow is found in the upper right hand corner. The map is also numbered in the upper right hand corner: “County No. 16.” The streets listed on the map include: “Fifth Concession Road” [now Fennell Avenue], “macadamized road between lots 14 & 15” [now Upper James Street], “Prospect Avenue” [now Claremont Drive], “Clairmont Avenue” [now Arcade Crescent], “First Avenue” [now approximately Inverness Court], “Second Avenue” [now approximately Gateview Drive], “Third Avenue” [now approximately Brantdale Avenue], and an unnamed road between lots 15 & 16 [now West 5th Street]. There are 78 lots parceled on this plan, including a large park known as “Clairmont Park Reserve.” Also noted here is the “Incline Railway Depot” travelling down from the escarpment brow [this transportation infrastructure was designed by Tyrell]. There are numerous signatures of officials on the plan. In the top left, there is a witness statement and signature by “Charles J. Layland” as well as a signature by Wentworth County official: Judge Alexander Logie. Logie (1823-1873) was active in Hamilton politics, the local justice system, and local Presbyterianism. He also served as judge for the Wentworth County Court from 1854-1873. (“Alexander Logie fonds PF 59,” in the Law Society of Upper Canada Archives, prepared 2013). In the bottom left there are signatures and a date (“Hamilton 15 Sept. 1897”). Those who gave the plan approval include: “Watson G. Walton”, “William Magee Jr.”, and “James Chisholm”. Chisholm (1858-1944) was an active Hamilton lawyer who enlisted in the Queen’s Rifles and eventually attained the rank of Colonel. Also found on this map is a signature by George Aurey, the Acting Registrar for the County of Wentworth, and a date “the sixteenth day of September, A.D. 1897.” Finally, in the bottom right corner is a certification statement and signature by the surveyor “J.W. Tyrell”. James Williams Tyrell (1863-1945) was one of Canada’s most prolific surveyors, explorers, and map makers during the 19th century. He practiced as an engineer and surveyor until 1893 when he embarked on an exploration into the Canadian interior with his brother Joseph Burr Tyrell (“Tyrell, James Williams,” Historica Canada, http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/james-williams-tyrell, accessed July 10, 2015). The survey itself showcases the severance and subdividing of the property of former politician and mercantile baron Isaac Buchanan (1810-1883). Buchanan termed his illustrious estate Claremont (alternatively spelled “Clairmont”) and it included a number of buildings including Auchmar. Buchanan purchased the land in 1852 but lost most of it to over-ambitious business maneuvers in the latter-half of the 19th century. Of note on this map, in lot 32, is a building footprint which symbolizes the “Claremont Gatehouse” at 71 Claremont Drive (Robert J. Williamson, “Claremont Drive,” in Hamilton Street Names, Margaret Houghton, ed. Toronto: James Lorimer and Co., 2002).
“Scale 5 chs to an Inch.” Directional arrow found above title. There is a note below the title that reads, “Surveyed in August 1871”. In the bottom right hand corner there is a signature, in red, by the surveyor “Jos. MacKintosh, P.L.Surveyor, 1st Sept. 1871”. Map is numbered along left edge “No 70, Drawer No 1”. There is additional writing in the bottom right corner which is very faint, next to which there is a small hand pointing to the base of the map. The property line is drawn in detail at the bottom of the map, following the contours of the “creek” [Spencer Creek]. There are two roads featured on the plan: “Concession Road” dividing the 2nd and 3rd Concession [now Ontario Highway 5] and “Side Road” [no longer in existence]. The area is now the home of Christie Lake Conservation Area, which covers most of the map, and the Rothsay recycling plant which covers the upper portion of lots 5 and 6. A road known as Crooks Hollow was built in the southern section of the map. Along this road, within the boundaries of this map, is found the Darnley Cascade Waterfall upon which was built the Darnley Gristmill.
This map shows a proposed survey for "Goodwin Park" in the Rosedale neighbourhood, at the border of the former Township of Saltfleet and the Township of Barton in the current city of Hamilton. The plan's scale is listed under the title: "Scale: 1inch = 150 feet". The directional arrow is found on the right side of the map, pointing northwards. There are numerous signatory statements present on the map including those by owners, witnesses, the mayor and clerks, the surveyor, the municipal commissioner, and the vice-president and secretary-treasurer of "Goodwin Park Limited" [likely the development company]. There is a key plan inset on the left side of the map showing the wider geographical area in which the plan is located. There are 271 lots listed on the map. There is a section of subdivided lands and another, smaller section of lands owned by Goodwin Park Ltd. that are not subdivided. The streets listed are: Greenhill Avenue, Dumbarton Avenue, Cochrane Road, Rousseau Road, Newlands Road, Dundonald Avenue, Montrose Avenue, Hixon Street, and Aberdeen Avenue. All streets are active as shown today with the exception of Newlands Road [now Charlotte Street] and Aberdeen Avenue [now Lawrence Road]. The T.H.&B. railway crosses the map below Hixon and is still present today. The plan was produced by J.W. Tyrrell & Co., Engineers & Surveyors and surveyed by Oliver Roland Blandy. Blandy was an apprentice, and eventually a partner, with Tyrrell in his surveying and engineering company.
John Ferguson's father, Peter Ferguson was one of the earliest settlers at the Head-of-the-Lake. This area is now bounded by Wellington Street, Main Street, Mary Street and the harbour. The Ferguson's built their house at the corner of Cherry and Robert streets. Cherry Street, Nelson Street and Henry Street were subsequently re-named Ferguson Avenue in Peter Ferguson's honour. Streets appearing on the map include: Murray Street, Barton Street, Robert Street, Cannon Street, Wellington Street, Cathcart Street, Ferguson Avenue, Elgin Street, and Mary Street. The left edge of the sheet has handwritten note, "No 80, Drawer 3". The top right corner of the sheet has the date written, "Sept 19, 1871".
This is a plan for John Ferguson’s property in central Hamilton (the plot labeled “entailed property”). The plan does not include a date, directional arrow or scale. There are 194 subdivided lots depicted on the map surrounding Ferguson’s property. At the northern extremity of the plan is the Great Western Railway running east to west. The streets listed on the map are all in existence today. They include: Cannon Street, Robert Street, Barton Street, Murray Street, Wellington Street, Cathcart Street, Ferguson Avenue, Elgin Street, and Mary Street. Circa 1858 would be the earliest the map could be dated. This is the year that Cherry Street was renamed Ferguson Avenue (W.A. Shepard, The City of Hamilton Directory, 1858). The building footprint drawn on the plan is the original Ferguson family home built by John’s ancestor and of one of Hamilton’s earliest settlers, Peter Ferguson (1795-1824). In 1802, Peter settled on 100 acres of land at Lot 13, Concessions 1-2. This plan outlines a portion of that originally-ceded Crown grant (Margaret Houghton, “Ferguson Avenue,” in Hamilton Street Names. Toronto: James Lorimer & Co., Publishers, 2002, 36). By the time of the middle of the 19th century, despite being close to the town centre of Hamilton, most of the Ferguson family land on lot 13 was still undeveloped. Peter Ferguson’s son Archibald took ownership of the land following his father’s death. Though the Ferguson lands were located at the eastern edge of the city, as Michael Doucet and John Weaver point out, “[Archibald] Ferguson annoyed the Board of Police for his failure to open a street and he had a mere seven people dwelling on his 200 acres in 1839. A pioneer agrarian with a low lying farm, he was not an assertive developer with a desirable tract” (Michael Doucet and John Weaver, “Town Fathers and Urban Continuity,” in Urban History Review 13:2, 1984, 81). Twelve years later, at the time of the publication of the 1851 Marcus Smith Map of the City of Hamilton, the Ferguson lands were still largely undeveloped, especially compared to the built area surrounding their farmland. There were subdivided lots to the east of Wellington Street and to the west of Mary Street. But, as mentioned Dictionary of Hamilton Biography, in 1856 the land was parceled into urban lots and developed (T. Melville Bailey, ed, “Ferguson, Peter,” in Dictionary of Hamilton Biography, Vol. 1, Hamilton: W.L. Griffin Ltd., 1981, 72). The 1859 Map of the County of Wentworth by Robert Surtees confirms this fact. It shows the Ferguson tract as entirely subdivided south of Barton (Lot 13, Concession 2) while north of Barton the undeveloped the broken front marshland (which would have been difficult to build upon) was retained by Archibald. By 1876, all of the Ferguson lands were urbanized. The Wentworth County Atlas shows that the northern parcel of land was developed right up to the bay. This plan was created after this land was subdivided for the property of John Ferguson. It is possible that John subdivided and sold some of the land once he took over ownership. Very little information could be found on John Ferguson himself. It unclear whether or not John was the son or the brother of Archibald Ferguson. The 1876 Wentworth County Atlas does list John Ferguson as owning some land in Barton Township during this period.
Subdivision plan. Map is a reduced reproduction of Hamilton Registered Subdivision Plan #395, Plan of Kenilworth, Tyrrell & MacKay, Civil Engineers & Surveyors, dated 1906 (scale 1 inch=100 feet). The map is bounded by Barton Street in the north to Columbia Avenue (now Cannon Street East) and further to Sunndale Avenue in the south, and by Ottawa Street in the west to Alexander Avenue (now Harmony Avenue) in the east. Advertising notes for F.B. Robins and the Barton Land Company surround the map.
This map shows a proposed plan for "Kenview Park" on the West mountain, at the border of the former Township of Ancaster and the Township of Barton in the current City of Hamilton. The plan's scale is listed under the title: "Scale 200ft to 1 in". The directional arrow is found on the right side of the map, pointing northwards. There are numerous signatory statements present on the map including those by owners, witnesses, mortgagees, clerks, registrar, reeve, mayor, surveyor, municipal commissioner, and chairman of the Ontario Railway and Municipal Board. There is a key plan inset on the left side of the map showing the wider geographical area in which the plan is located. There are also three seals placed on the plan: two for the City of Hamilton and one for the Township of Ancaster ("Ancaster Township Municipality Incorporated 1850"). The streets laid for Kenview Park include: "Redfearn Avenue", "Goulding Avenue", "Gordon Avenue", "Brooks Avenue", "Gray Avenue", "Orton Avenue", and "Gore Avenue". Outside of the survey, the plan includes "Craigmore Drive", "Lonsdale Avenue", "Crescent Road", "Mountain Boulevard", and "Dunlop Avenue". Today there is very little to indicate that this plan was ever realized. Most of the streets in this location now follow a curvilinear design and nearly all (in this tract) were given names of Spanish/Hispanic origin. The homes in this neighbourhood are all new or built within the last 40 years (post-1970s). There are two streets drawn on the plan which do exist today, roughly in the same locations: Redfearn Avenue and Goulding Avenue. Running diagonally across the base of the survey is the "Dominion Power and Transmission Co. Powerline". Dominion Power was formed in 1907 (from the Hamilton Cataract Power, Light and Traction Company) and was the first company to bring hydro-electric power to Hamilton (Carolyn Gray, "Business Structures and Records: The Dominion Power and Transmission Company, 1896-1930," in Archivaria 19:5 (1984): 151-161). The plan was produced by J.J. MacKay & Co., Engineers & Surveyors. More information on this company can be found by consulting RMC 7606/7 ("Plan of Wilson Park"). The surveyor of this plan was William Gourlay Webster (1884-1965). Webster was born in Toronto and educated as a civil engineer. He obtained his commission as an Ontario Land Surveyor in 1912 and began articling in Brantford. Gourlay completed the survey of Kenview Park in 1913, shortly before enlisting with the Canadian Engineers during the First World War. Webster went on to work as an MPP in the Ontario Legislature between 1943 and 1948 (S.W. Archibald, "Hon. William Gourlay Webster, C.E., O.L.S," Toronto: Association of Ontario Land Surveyors Report of the Committee on Biography & Repository, posted in 2013). Also mentioned on the plan is John Allan (1856-1922) who was the mayor of the City of Hamilton between 1913-1914. Allan also went on to act as an MPP, his tenure between 1914-1919. This plan features a grid plan, typical of surveyors and planners of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Though this plan was never realized, its structured grid has been reproduced not only across the lower city but also across the mountain (David Premi and Paul Shaker, "Mountain's History is Rich and Diverse" in the Hamilton Spectator, May 7, 2015).
"Scale, -100ft=1in." Directional arrow found to the left of the title. Map details the "Plan of Lawrence Park" in the former Township of Ancaster. The map details an area south of Main Street West, not far from McMaster University. A subsequent Hamilton map, "City of Hamilton: Western Section" by "J.W. Tyrell and Co." [1927?], indicates that the subdivision was built as shown in this plan. This blue print is the formal copy of the subdivision plan retained by the "Registry Office of the County of Wentworth". It is signed by "W.G. Webster", the provincial land surveyor; "John Allan", the Mayor of Hamilton; as well as the Ontario Railway and Municipal Board secretary, city clerk; mortgagee; reeve; owner; and witnesses. For more information on both William Gourlay Webster (1884-1965) and John Allan (1856-1922), see RMC 7626 ("Plan of Kenview Park"). All signatures on the plan are dated 1914, written with black pen over top of the originally printed 1913 date. At the base of the map, below the company information of the surveyors, is the printed date: "Dated Hamilton Oct. 10th 1913". In the bottom right hand corner is the key plan inset which shows the location of the plan in greater geographic detail. There are 220 lots included in the subdivision.
This map shows a plan for a lakeshore community known as “Ontario”, some “10 miles east of Hamilton”. Geographically, this would locate the plan in Winona, Ontario. Although there is no directional arrow, the map is oriented so that north (and the shoreline) are found at the bottom of the map. The scale is noted just below the title as “4 Chains to an Inch”. There is a note of certification found along the left margin of the map which shows that it was registered and dated “at Hamilton 20 Octr. 1869”. The note has been signed by ThS. A Blyth, P.L.S. and H.B. Willson [presumably Hugh Willson, brother of John Willson]. The streets listed are: East Avenue, Centre Avenue, West Avenue, Willson Street [named after the Willson family], Concession Street, Ontario Street, Railway Street, and Elizabeth Street [named for the wife of Hon. John Willson]. Today, East Avenue is now East Street (in a section north of the QEW), Centre Avenue is now Winona Road, and West Avenue is still West Avenue (in a small section south of the QEW). All other streets are no longer in existence. In both top corners are the words “Book 3, Plan 11”. The map outlines a number of buildings and named lots. Just south of the railroad tracks is the “Depot G.W.R.” [Great Western Railway]. Along the shoreline, near the pier [which was built by Wilson], are found a hotel and three large lots owned by “W.P. McLaren, Esqr”, “Hon. John Willson”, and “J.W. Willson”. William Patterson McLaren (1810-1866) was a well-known Scottish businessman, philanthropist and politician who settled in Saltfleet Township. He served as Chairman on the Board of Directors for the Great Western Railroad Company and on the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada. He was also well-known for his hobby of fruit farming. McLaren’s peaches were even hailed by the famous landscape architect Andrew Jackson Downing (1815-1852) in his journal The Horticulturalist. Hon. John Willson (1776-1860) was a New Jersey-born loyalist who served in the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada. He was the Speaker of the Assembly from 1825-1828 and he was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1839. He was also a justice of the peace in the Gore District and a judge in the district court. Lastly, (J.W.) John Wesley Willson (1819-1889) was the son of John Willson. The former home of John Wesley became the well-known Winona Park Hotel, an idyllic destination for the passengers of the nearby railway. It is unclear whether the “hotel” depicted in lots 45-47 in the plan is the Winona Park Hotel or if it is the “Lake House” which is illustrated in great detail atop the map. The “Lake House” was the work of listed architect “W. Boultbee” [William Boultbee (1832-1902)]. It is a late Georgian-Italiante structure. The scale of the building is listed as “12 ft to an Inch” [1:144]. It is worth mentioning that the Willson family continued to live in this area for many subsequent years. The 1875 Wentworth County Atlas, for example, shows both “A.B. Wilson” and “J.W. Wilson” in the vicinity of Winona, Ontario (Lots 4-5, Concession BF-1). Much of the land drawn on the map is now residential property today, though the area also includes the John Willson Park and Liuna Gardens.
“Scale ½ in to the chain”. The directional arrow is found to the left of the title. Below the title are the initials of the surveyor “R.S.” [Robert Sparks]. The plan shows five lots laid out along the right edge and another lot along the left edge. The centre of the map shows open space, presumably laid out as land for a park. Written across this open space are the words “Hill’s Boro[…]” Atop the map it reads “Concession Road [illegible number]” presumably Concession Road 4 [now Concession Street]. Along the right edge is “Side Line” [now Upper Wentworth Street]. There is writing found on the verso of the map: “Plan of Park Lots in the 11th lot in 4th Concession, Barton. Property of John Hill, 1848. Surveyed by Ro Sp[arks].” The number “134” is also found on the back.
Manuscript map. North arrow oriented to right. "Scale 1 Chain = 1 Inch". Map covers area from Railway Street [currently Locke Street] in the east to the eastern limits of Dundurn Park in the west and extends to York Street [currently York Boulevard]. Appearing in the centre of the map is Inchbuy Street, named for the MacNab family burial plot at Dundurn Castle [currently Inchbury Street], and Kinell Street. Along lower left edge, "No 11, Drawer 5". In lower right margin, "26".