Sheet 1 of 2. Scale: "50 Feet=to one Inch". The number "51" is written in the top, left corner and in the top, right corner, it reads, "No 44 Drawer No 2." The map covers a downtown block, highlighting the dwelling of the late P.H. Hamilton. In the map are MacNab Street South to the east, Bond Street (now Park Street South) to the west, Duke Street to the south, and Bold and Charles Streets to the north.
Manuscript map. Cartographer uncertain. Scale "100 ft=one inch". Shows 51 numbered lots extending west from the Niagara River around Robinson Street to Clark Street [currently Clark Avenue] and the McAdamized (asphalt) road to the bridge. A portion of "Zimmermans Gardens" appears in the north and in the south, below the numbered lots, "G.W. Allan" is handwritten. It is possible the land could have been property inherited by lawyer and politiician, George William Allan (1822-1901), from his father, William Allan (1770-1853). William Allan originally settled in the Niagara area before moving to York (Toronto) and, among his many achievements, was known as a major landowner (Dictionary of Canadian Biography, www.biographi.ca/en/bio.php?id_nbr=3743). Noted within a circle near the lower left corner, "164".
Sheet 2 of 2. Title appears on sheet 1. There is very little information found on this section of the map. In the top left hand corner it reads "No 56, Drawer 6", and [...Copies] just above the map detail. On the verso can be found the number "56". The map itself features lots 133-153 and the western extensions of "Ontario St.", "Queen St.", and "Argyle St." Running vertically across the lots is the tree-lined Niagara Escarpment.
For additional geographical and historical information, see sheet 1.
Sheet 1 of 2. This plan does not include a scale, date, or directional arrow. There are a few additions which have been added, in pencil, to the title: "County of Wentworth", "A.M. Chisolm", and "by Thos. A. Blyth, P.L.S." The map shows a residential plan for the "Village of Inverness" prepared for A.M. [Andrew Mackenzie] Chisholm (1810-1894) in the south east corner of the former Township of East Flamborough [present day Burlington, Ontario]. The map is bounded by "Hamilton and Nelson Gravel Road" [now Plains Road] to the south, "Argyle St" [now King Road] to the west, "Flamboro St" [now nonexistent] to the north, and "Ontario St" [now approximately Francis Road] to the east.
Most of the land shown in the map is now used for commercial or industrial purposes. The "Burial Ground" drawn in the southeastern corner of the plan is a loyalist cemetery still in place today and known as the Job's Lane Cemetery or the Union Burying Grounds. It was established in 1848 by a number of loyalist families who were members of the Methodist Union. The railway spanning the southern portion of the map is another feature that is still located in place today. Subsequent historical maps of the area show a different configuration of streets and lots, indicating that the plan was never built. Remnants of the land owner, A.M. Chisholm, remained in the creation of Inverness Avenue (approximately following the outline of "Mary Street") and the survival of the historic "Inverness" House. The house was built by Andrew's father George Chisholm in 1832 and was eventually demolished in 1987. The archives of the Burlington Historical Society indicate that Andrew had the family property surveyed and auctioned off in 1856. Two Hamilton Spectator advertisments from 1856 by auctioneers "Best & Green" promote Chisholm's land as the "New Town of Inverness". As noted, the area was never developed as such. By 1875, Lot 1 and Lot 2 of Concession 1 were owned by the Easterbrooks, who held the land until it was sold in the 1980’s. Chisholm himself moved to Elizabeth Street in Wellington Square and had a new home built in that same year.
"Scale= 4 Chains to an Inch." The directional arrow found in lot 4 along the right edge of the map. Just below the title it reads "Surveyed for Messrs Thos. Allison, Andrew Patton & James Kievell on the 29th & 30th Jany. 1858 by J. MacKintosh, P.L. Surveyor." The map is very detailed and includes a good deal of writing. It is a plan for two roads, as depicted in yellow, running north-south and east-west. To the right of the title there is a "N.13" encircled and an officiate statement, "Filed in the Registry Office of the County of Wentworth this twenty first day of April A.D. 1858., John H. Greer, Registrar." At both bottom corners of the map there are the numbers "Book 2, Plan 13". Near the base of the map there are two signature statements each certifying the legitimacy of the plan and the proper practice of the surveyor James MacKintosh. Both signatures are signed by all three land owners implicated. One is signed "the Sixth day of February 1858" and the other "at Carlisle this 20th day of April 1858." The location of the plan is within lots 4 to 7 of the 8th Concession, near the town of Carlisle. The creek which runs through lots 4 and 5 is Twelve-Mile Creek [now Bronte Creek]. The map also includes the location Campbell's Mill [now Progreston Falls] along the creek. Roads featured are: "Road allowance" between 8th and 9th Concessions [now Carlisle Road], "Centre Road" [same name], and two connecting roads to be built in the plan [now all Progreston Road].
"Scale 3 chs. one inch". The bottom right includes surveyor's signature and date, "Ths. Allen Blyth P.L.S., Hamilton, June 23rd 1853". The left edge of the sheet has handwritten note, "No 72. Sheriff Thomases, Drawer No 1". Map indicates that "Robt Hamilton's Survey" extends from James Street. Streets appearing on the map include: Original Road allowance [now Wellington Street], Fifth Concession Road [now Fennell Avenue], William Street [now Brucedale Avenue], and James Street [now Queensdale Avenue]. Current street information is according to the Historical Atlas of the County of Wentworth (1875). The exact street correlation of the "Macadamized Road" is unknown.
Signed below title, "Thos. A. Blyth PLS, Hamilton July 1868". Streets appearing on map include York Street [now York Boulevard], Locomotive Street [now Ray Street], and Concession Street [now Barton Street]. The street parallel with Locomotive Street is now present day Magill Street. On the left side of Locomotive Street is noted, "Sir Allen MacNabs of subdivision, Park Lot No 3". On the right side of Locomotive Street is noted, "David Murray's Survey of subdivision, Park Lot No 8". A note below the title reads, "The part shaded pink the property of Chas. Magill Esqr. M.P. The portion shaded yellow that of Mrs. Ainslie". North arrow points to the right of the sheet. "No 27, Drawer 5" is handwritten in the top left corner of the sheet.
"Scale one hundred feet to an Inch". In the bottom right corner of the map, there is a certification statement signed and dated by "Thos. Allen Blyth P.L.S. [Public Land Surveyor], Hamilton Oct 13th 1847". In the middle of the map, there is a gradient of shading depicting the "Summit of Mountain". On the left side of the map there is a portion of land labeled: "City property". Statement on the map's right indicates, "the boundary between Lots 13 and 14 in the 3rd Conn of Barton". Streets appearing on map include: Cherry Street [now Ferguson Street], Walnut Street, Jane Street [now Charlton Avenue East], and Morison Street [now Foster Avenue]. There is a street labelled, "Macadamized Road" [likely Arkledun Avenue], indicating that this is a paved road.
"Scale 3 chains to an Inch". The map is numbered “No 57, Drawer 1” on left edge. There is a directional arrow on right side of map pointing down, indicating that north is towards the bottom. The bottom right hand corner of the map features a date and a signature by the surveyor: "Ths. Allen Blyth, D.P.S., Hamilton, October 24th 1842." The map is in the vicinity of the Ancaster Old Mill. The “Road from Ancaster to Dundas” [now Old Dundas Road] is shown on the map in two separate sections, the second section referred to as “Public Road”. The “2nd Concession Road” running east-west is no longer in existence today but may have been a continuation of Lower Lions Club Road. There is a “Mill” and a “Mill House” drawn at the base of the escarpment. The Ancaster Creek is shown winding through the survey with the section at Sherman Falls featured.
"Scale 120 Feet to an Inch". Streets appearing on the map include Mulberry Street, Cannon Street, Vine Street, Merrie Street [not in existence today], York Street, Market Street [does not extend to this far east today], King Street, Bay Street, Park Street, Macnab Street, and James Street. "Drawer No 1 No. 25" is handwritten in bottom left corner. "Thos. Allen Blyth P.L.S. Augst 1845" is handwritten in the bottom right corner, indicating certification. The land was owned by David Kirkendall, whose son, Samuel Kirkendall settled on a piece of property in what is now Hamilton, west of James Street and north of King. The Kirkendall's farm, which had an orchard, was located on Market Street near Bay Street, and at least in the mid-1850s he was carrying on a lumber business (Bailey, Dictionary of Hamilton Biography, p. 117).
"Scale = 40 Chains to an Inch". The map is numbered “No 31” in the top right corner and on the verso. There are two small directional arrows on the bottom edges of the plan indicating north. The bottom right hand corner of the map features a date and a signature by the surveyor: "MacKintosh, P.L.Surveyor, Strabane P office, 29th May 1861." The map outlines the lots of Concessions III-V but does not indicate settlement. A road is shown going diagonal across the map and labelled “Waterloo Road” [now Hwy 8]. Four concession roads are also featured but unlabelled [they are now Hwy 5 W, Concession 4 W, Concession 5 W, and Concession 6 W]. There are three small communities located within the boundaries of the map: Rockton, Westover, and Troy. It is interesting to note that there was a Strabane Post Office located just east of Freelton in the Township of Flamborough West (as seen on the 1875 Wentworth County of Atlas). Presumably, as per the map's writing, this was the location from which the map was produced and dated.
"Scale 2 ch. to an Inch". The map is numbered in handwriting as “Book 1 Plan 60”. To the right of the title it reads, “True Copy of Survey, Nos. 1854. Ths. Allen Blyth.” Writing on the map’s verso reads, “Capt Nicolls [illegible word], north end of lot 19 in 4th Conn of Barton” Streets listed on the map include: Dundurn Street, Willougby Street [now Hyde Park Ave], Holloran Street [now Flatt Avenue], Nicolls Street [now Glenside Avenue], and Fourth Concession Road [now Aberdeen Avenue]. The 1876 Wentworth County Atlas lists the area as “Nicoll’s Sy” [Survey] with lots and streets. Later maps depict the area differently, indicating that it was either re-developed in the late 19th century or the 1854 survey was never realized as planned on Nicolls’ property. The more modern 1913 Map of the City of Hamilton shows the current configuration of lots and street names that continues to this day.
This is a subdivision plan for land within lot 13, concession 4 on the Hamilton Mountain. The lots were laid out by Robert Jarvis Hamilton (1811-1892) and the plan "drawn by James K. Greer". The map contains two versions of its title: one found in the bottom right corner and the other in the top right corner. There is no date on the plan. There is also no directional arrow on this plan but it is oriented with north pointing down. The scale is located at the base of the map: "Two Chains and one inch." The map is numbered along its left edge: "Book 2 Plan 43." The verso of the map contains a two-level housing floor plan for a "cottage" and a large number of numerical calculations. The plan is bounded by three roads: "Barton Street" [now Queensdale Avenue], "Fourth Con. Road and South Limits of the City of Hamilton" [now Belvidere Avenue], and "Original Road Allowance Between Lots No. 12 and 13" [Upper Wellington Street]. There are two other streets labelled: "Moore Street" [now Inverness Avenue] and "Melville Street" [now the southern section of Belvidere Avenue]. There are a total of 40 lots subdivided in this development plan. There is also land owned by numerous individuals: "N.Merritt", "N.Campbell", "Major Bowen", "Richard Bull", and "John Bradly". Major Arthur Bowen was listed in the 1853 Hamilton City Directory as owning land on the mountain and living at 10 Upper Wellington Street. John Bradley (1811-1865) was an Irish immigrant that owned land throughout the city and ran a number of well-known hotels. Richard Bull was the son of Irish loyalist George Perkins Boothesby Bull (1795-1847) and also owned land across Hamilton. Information could not be found on the other two landowners. Robert Jarvis Hamilton was the son of town-creator George Hamilton. Worked as a banker and was involved in real estate under the direction of his father ("Hamilton, Robert Jarvis," Dictionary of Hamilton Biography, Hamilton: W.L. Griffin Limited, 1981, 94). The escarpment is featured prominent at the base of the map (northern extremity) and labelled as the "Summit of Mountain".
This localized survey is of lots in the former village of Waterdown. The streets listed are "Main Street", "Kelly Street", and "John Street" (name not listed). All three streets are in existence today. Many of the homes found on these streets are now historic, likely dating back to their construction during this period.
In its entirety, the title reads: "PLAN of Village Lots in Waterdown being composed of portions of Lots 5, 6, 13 & the whole of 14 lying on the north side of John Street and on the easterly side of Main Street as shown on the PLAN of Waterdown by Henry Winter, P,L,S." Below the title is listed the scale: "Scale - One Chain to an Inch." To the right of the title is found the directional arrow which points to the top right corner as north. Near the arrow is found the map's numbering: "No 34" and a certification of the survey with a date included. Most of the writing is illegible. To the left of the title is an illegible statement and signature by the "Deputy Registrar". In the bottom left hand corner of the map is the numbering: "Book 2, Plan 34". Lastly, in the bottom right hand corner is the author's name and date: "Surveyed by MacKintosh, P.L.Surveyor, Oct. 1856".
Visual scale [95mm = 100 feet]. "By David Murray Hamilton CW". "Great Western Railway Compy Grounds" appears at the top of the sheet. Streets appearing on map include Concession Street [now Barton Street] and Locomotive Street [now Ray Street]. On lower left edge, "No 3 Drawer 4". On verso: handwritten note by David Murray dated April 22nd, 1856.
Map outlines 10 lots in the vicinity of Aldershot, including land found in both the former counties of Wentworth and Halton. The title, in its entirety, reads: "Plan showing Lots Numbers 1, 2 and 3 in the Subdivision of part of Lot No. 1 in the Broken Front Concession of the Township of East Flamboro in the County of Wentworth, the property of John J. Filman". The Filmans are a significant family in the early history of Aldershot, and several historic Filman houses remain in Burlington. John J. Filman (1861-1932) was the son of James Conrad Filman (1821-1888), who is shown as the owner of lots 1 & 2, in East Flamboro's Broken Front Concession in 1875. When James died, brother David inherited the northern half of the property while John inherited the southern half. Below the title is the landowner's certifying statement: "This plan and subdivision has been prepared under and with my approval for registry. Burlington Mar 30th 1897. [Signed] John J. Filman". To the right of the title is a statement and signature by the clerk for the County of Halton, "George Arthur Watson", on March 30, 1897. One can also find, in the top right corner, a certification statement by the plan's surveyor "Ths. R. Hewson, O.L.S.", "Dated...Hamilton, Ont. 25th March 1897". Thomas Ringwood Hewson (1856-1898) was an Irish-Canadian surveyor who partnered with James Williams Tyrrell (1863-1945) while in Hamilton. At the very bottom of the map is a statement which appears to indicate that this copy of the plan is a duplicate given to the County of Wentworth. It reads: "Duplicate original fyled in the Registry Office for the County of Wentworth at 3:23 O'clock P.M. of the First day of April A.D. 1899 as County No 15. [Signed] George Aurey, Deputy Registrar".
The scale is listed as: "Scale : 3 chains to 1 inch". The directional arrow is found in the upper right hand corner, decorated fancifully with a "magnetic N". Of note are three lots which are highlighted in red and accompanied by a note: "The part which has been subdivided is colored Red." Geographically, the area is found in eastern Aldershot, just below the Queen Elizabeth Way. Greenwood Cemetery is listed on the map as well as the "Road to Burlington" [now approximately Greenwood Drive] and a "Lane 50 links wide" [now approximately Francis Road].
Under subtitle it reads, "Scale=50ft.=1in." Directional arrow found on the left side of the map. Includes signed oath of approval dated "6th Feby 1906" by R.T. Wilson and witnessed by Susan E. Rusk at the City of Hamilton. At the base of the map there is a certification by the surveyor "James J. Mackay, Ontario Land Surveyor, dated Feb 1906." Below the signatures there is a statement which reads "Received from R.T. Wilson and filed or registered this 16th day of February 1906 at 3:50 o'clock PM as No. 391...[illegible signature] at residence." The map shows a layout of lots between four streets: Short, Sydenham, Queen, and Alma. All four streets are in existence today, as shown, with the exception of Short Street.
Below the title is a handwritten signature, "Dr. Billings & Joseph Lister, Esq." On left side of the map appears handwritten note, "Billings & Lister No 48, Drawer No 2". Some handwriting is evident on the verso of the map which is difficult to fully decipher.
The map has a north arrow penciled in, it is aligned so east is on top and west is on the bottom. Streets included are: Barton Street, Wentworth Street and Williams Street. Williams Street is now "William Street" on current maps of the City of Hamilton. On the northern boundary of the map is a portion of the Great Western Railway. Between the railway allowance and the lots is a small road labelled only as "Street". To the west of Williams Street is a small unnamed laneway shown on the map and present on current maps of the area. In later maps it appears as though this road eventually became Birge Street. Off William Street, the lots are subdivided and coloured in pink. Handwriting on these lots read: "12 Houses 18 x 24".
The scale is given under the title, listed as "scale forty chains to one inch."
The map is numbered with a "9" in the top right corner. Handwriting on the right side of the map reads, "Township of Saltfleet" with "Book 1" above crossed out. The verso of the map reads "49th Page Saltfleet."The map shows the concessions, early lot lines, and rivers or streams in the area but does not show roads, buildings, typography, vegetation, or other map details. On the bottom of the map, it reads "Crown Land Department, Montreal, November 1846, True Copy, C.R." A faded signature is also featured on the bottom of the map reading "D.B. Papineau, C.C.L. [Commissioner of Crown Lands]".
This is a survey sketch of lots 28-34 in Concession BF and Concession 1 in the former township of Saltfleet. Surveyed for the utility requirements of the Board of Water Commissioners for the City of Hamilton. The scale is found below the title: "400 feet to an inch". There is no date or directional arrow included on the map. In bottom left hand corner is written "No 98 Drawer 3 Burlington Beach" and the number "184" encircled. The map is oriented so that north is at the base of the map along with Lake Ontario and Burlington Bay. There are a number of utilities and infrastructure featured on the map including is a "pumping main" which cuts across the survey and connects to an "engine house" and a "filtering basin" along Burlington Beach. Also drawn along the beach is a "road from Stony Creek" which crosses the Windemere Basin and becomes "the Beach Road". The Great Western Railway spans the top of the map (the southernmost boundary). The property owners listed on the map include: George Lottridge (lot 29), William and John Bates (east part of lot 31), Henry Waterberry (west part of lot 31), George Gant (lot 32), and Thomas Jones (lot 34). In terms of dating the map, we know that it was completed after the construction of the Great Western Railway (1854) and after the publication of the 1875 Wentworth County Atlas which lists many differing owners on these lots in years prior. Hamilton City Directories indicated that prior to 1881, not all of the above-named individuals were listed as owning property in Saltfleet. I have noted 1889 as the last possible date for the map; that is the year in which George Lottridge died. Given that Lottridge is shown as a property owner on the map, it cannot be any older.