John Ferguson's father, Peter Ferguson was one of the earliest settlers at the Head-of-the-Lake. This area is now bounded by Wellington Street, Main Street, Mary Street and the harbour. The Ferguson's built their house at the corner of Cherry and Robert streets. Cherry Street, Nelson Street and Henry Street were subsequently re-named Ferguson Avenue in Peter Ferguson's honour. Streets appearing on the map include: Murray Street, Barton Street, Robert Street, Cannon Street, Wellington Street, Cathcart Street, Ferguson Avenue, Elgin Street, and Mary Street. The left edge of the sheet has handwritten note, "No 80, Drawer 3". The top right corner of the sheet has the date written, "Sept 19, 1871".