Manuscript map. Cartographer unknown but believed to be Robert Clifford. A grid is overlaid with squares numbered in Roman numerals which most likely correspond to map sheet numbers in a series of topographic maps covering the area. The paper carries the watermark of "J Jellyman 18_1" with the third number in the date being partially obscured by a red wax seal on the verso. On verso: a note addressed to the "Hon. Robt. Clifford" from Thos. Wright of Henrietta Street, Covent Garden and dated 7 May, 1812. [Thomas Wright was a banker in the firm of Wright, Selby & Robinson] see: RMC F57 supplement 5 verso. This item was discovered in a portfolio along with 20 maps of military camps of the War of the Austrian Succession. The original portfolio had a Robert Clifford ownership label but for conservation purposes the maps have been repackaged.
Downloads available under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License